Everyone knows Delhi as India’s capital and home to some of the best tourist delights in the world. But Delhi is also the most appealing destination for the budget backpacker or a shoestring traveller. Cultural sites, urban delights, epic food and unrivalled travel stories, everything is available in Delhi on a minimum budget. Students, bloggers and hippies from all parts of the world have certified Delhi as the budget traveller’s heaven.
If you follow some ingenious hacks to enjoy the quintessential Delhi, you will have loads of fun without burning a hole in your pocket.
Things to see in Delhi on the cheap
1. Take a heritage walk
For as low as Rs. 600 per person, you can visit the best historical spots in Delhi with a guided tour from an expert. Sites include Chandni Chowk, Mehrauli Archaeological Park, Jama MasjidLane, Kashmiri Gate, among many others.
2. See art for free at Lalit Kala Academy
For zero entry fees, explore the soul-stirring art at Lalit Kala Academy where you get to marvel at national and international exhibitions and a gallery showcasing the finest art anywhere.
3. Culture at Dilli Haat
A magical land of traditional handicraft and authentic rural ambience, Dilli Haat is an essential Delhi visit, for Rs 20 per head. The complex displays various ethnic handcrafted items from different states of India and is bustling with energetic atmospherics.
4. Visit Humayun’s Tomb
For Rs. 30, explore the magnificent garden tomb of Humayun, its major features are the gardens and the water channels.
5. Hear Qawwalis
Hear the legendary Thursday Qawwalis at Hazrat NizamuddinAulia Dargah sung by Sufi singers, immerse in the sheer spiritual ambiance of the dargah. There is no entry fee.
6. Hang out at India Gate
Apart from visiting the historic India Gate for free, you can visit the nearby National Gallery of Modern Art for Rs. 20 and shop from its souvenir store.
7. Visit the Lotus Temple
A Baha’i place of worship, the Lotus Garden is famous for its floral architecture and 27 free-standing marble covered ‘petals’.
8. Take a stroll on Hauz Khas
A gentrified neighbourhood in South Delhi that holds ancient ruins as well as hipster cafes, art galleries and eateries. Walk along the Hauz Khas market for some interesting curios. All the best pubs and restaurants in Delhi are here.
9. Be inspired at Ghalib Ki Haveli
Located in Chawri Bazaar, the residence of legendary Urdu poet Mirza Ghalib is a heritage site, open to all at no cost. It showcases the life and times of the Mughal-era poet.
10. A session at Parliament House
With prior booking online, you will be issued a public/visitor’s pass and seated in the visitor gallery at the Parliament House, the political centre of India. Recommended for those interested in history and politics.
11. Look at Qutub Minar
India’s most visited UNESCO Heritage Site, the Qutub Minar is free for all to marvel at.
Budget street food in Delhi (Rs. 50 to Rs. 250)
● Paranthe Wali Galli in Chandni Chowk is renowned for its famous for epic stuffed parathas.
● Khandani Pakodewale in Sarojini Nagar Market sells yummy lotus stem and karele ke pakode.
● Khan Chacha in Khan Market is popular for non-vegetarian rolls and kebabs.
● Jama Masjid in old Delhi is famous for all kinds of non-vegetarian foods, including butter chicken and don’t forget to try the kebabs at Karim’s.
● Jung Bahadur Kachori Wala at Kinari Bazar is famous for urad dal kachori and kachori sabzee.
● Sitaram Diwan Chand at Paharganj is famous for its ChholeBhature.
● Bishan Swaroop at Chandni Chowk is famous for their finger-licking chaats.
● Dolma Aunty in Lajpat Nagar is famous for her delectable momos.
● Roshan Di Kulfi at Karol Bagh is a must-visit for mouth-watering kulfis.
● Jain Chawal Wale at Connaught Place makes excellent rajma chawal.
● Affordable and tasty fast food is available at Delhi University North Campus, including chaats, momos and milkshakes.
Budget stays in Delhi
You may quench the splurging urges when it comes to shopping or fine dining. But when it comes to comfortable stays, there ought to be little space for compromise. The most convenient way to search for budget hotels in Delhi (starting from Rs. 999) is Treebo Hotels. They are one of India’s most famous budget hotel chains.
Treebo covers almost every locality of Delhi and features easy online booking, guaranteed amenities, 24/7 concierge, free Wi-Fi, free breakfast and their unrivalled promise of ‘Perfect Stay Or Don’t Pay’.
Delhi on a budget is as exciting as ever. Have you been? Write to us below.